To help you understand the material in this Data Handbook, we will use a few consistent typographic conventions.
The following typographic cues are used:
- bold words identify a PYTHON library or function.
typewriter-likewords identify a file name, system command, or response that is typed or displayed.
- italic type indicates a new term, an important point, a mathematical variable, or a task parameter.
- SMALL CAPS identifies a header keyword.
- ALL CAPS identifies a table column.
Occasional side comments point out three types of information, each identified by an icon in the left margin.
Warning: You could corrupt data, produce incorrect results, or create some other kind of severe problem.
Heads Up: Here is something that is often done incorrectly or that is not obvious.
Tip: No problems... just another way to do something or a suggestion that might make your life easier.
Information especially likely to be updated on the WFC3 Web site is indicated by this symbol.
List of Acronyms
Analog to Digital conversion
Advanced Camera for Surveys
HST optical simulator
Channel select Mechanism
Charge Transfer Efficiency
Continuous Viewing Zone
SAOimage astronomical image visualization application
European Space Agency
Exposure Time Calculator
Fine Guidance Sensor
Flexible Image Transport System
Field of View
Filter Select Mechanism in WFC3 IR channel
Hubble Operations Problem Report
Image distortion correction
Infrared channel on WFC3
Image Reduction and Analysis Facility
Instrument Science Report
Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes
Accumulation mode (multiple non-destructive reads)
Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrometer
Operational Pipeline Unified System
Optical Telescope Assembly
Pixel Area Map
Point Spread Function
South Atlantic Anomaly
Spectral Energy Distribution
Science Instrument Command and Data Handling unit
Simple Image Polynomial
Servicing Mission / Orbital Verification
Selectable Optical Filter Assembly in WFC3 UVIS channel
Space Telescope - European Coordinating Facility
Space Telescope Science Institute
Space Telescope Science Data Analysis Software
Technical Instrument Report
Thermal Vacuum campaign 3
Ultraviolet-Visible channel on WFC3
World Coordinate System
Wide-field Planetary Camera 1, on-board HST Apr 1990 to Nov 1993
Wide-Field Planetary Camera 2, on-board HST Dec 1993 to May 2009
WFC3 Data Handbook
- • Acknowledgments
- Chapter 1: WFC3 Instruments
- Chapter 2: WFC3 Data Structure
- Chapter 3: WFC3 Data Calibration
- Chapter 4: WFC3 Images: Distortion Correction and AstroDrizzle
- Chapter 5: WFC3-UVIS Sources of Error
- Chapter 6: WFC3 UVIS Charge Transfer Efficiency - CTE
Chapter 7: WFC3 IR Sources of Error
- • 7.1 WFC3 IR Error Source Overview
- • 7.2 Gain
- • 7.3 WFC3 IR Bias Correction
- • 7.4 WFC3 Dark Current and Banding
- • 7.5 Blobs
- • 7.6 Detector Nonlinearity Issues
- • 7.7 Count Rate Non-Linearity
- • 7.8 IR Flat Fields
- • 7.9 Pixel Defects and Bad Imaging Regions
- • 7.10 Time Variable Background Contamination
- • 7.11 IR Photometry Errors
- • 7.12 References
- Chapter 8: Persistence in WFC3 IR
- Chapter 9: WFC3 Data Analysis
- Chapter 10: WFC3 Spatial Scan Data